city at night

city at night

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Day Off

Unfortunately I have come down with a cold, and apparently the bug was making the rounds among the guests at the birthday celebration.  A number of other people have come down with a case of sneezing and coughing.  I felt it coming on Monday, and by Tuesday I was sure.  It's not a bad cold, just a nuisance.  But I felt it would be wise to take a break today from the hectic pace I have been keeping. 

I slept in today, and spent most of the day in my room at Werner's place.  I said good-bye to Werner today, since he left this morning on a business trip to Hannover, Germany, and he will be gone until after my departure.  With Spain's economy in such bad shape, more and more of Werner's jobs as an interpreter are coming from outside of Spain.  I accompanied him to the Gran Vía, a couple blocks away, where he caught a taxi to the airport.  I then went to one of the restaurants along the Gran Vía for a late breakfast.  I went to VIPS, a restaurant chain which is also in Mexico.  The food there is nothing special, but I was in the mood for a big American style breakfast of bacon and eggs and pancakes... something you will not find at most Spanish restaurants.  (My cold has not affected my appetite!)

By late afternoon I was getting stir-crazy.  Manuel, who works as a physical therapist, had some free time between appointments, and suggested that we go out for an early supper.  It was raining lightly when we left the flat.  It was around 5 PM, and most restaurants were not yet open for supper.  We opted for a little "cafetería" (which is not what we call a cafeteria, but rather a snack shop.)  We had an OK meal.  Manuel left to go back to work.  The rain had stopped, and the sun came out.  It was a pleasant evening so I took a walk all the way to the area by the Prado Museum.  There are some souvenir shops there that have better-than-average quality merchandise.  I went in one of them, and I think I took care of all the gift shopping I need to do in one-fell-swoop!

Now I'm back at the flat, and I think that I will turn in early.  Even if my cold isn't completely gone by tomorrow, I intend to do some sightseeing.  I'm not going to waste any more of my precious time in Spain sitting in my room!   

No comments:

Post a Comment