from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My New Toy

I'm a bit of a dinosaur, and it took me years before I switched from a film camera to a digital camera.  I would always take slides of my travels.  I would show them in my classroom as a teaching tool, and I would invite friends to the house for slide shows.  Many of my students seemed to enjoy my pictures.  As for my slide shows at home, I don't think my friends were saying "Oh, no!  We have to go see more of his darn slides!"  They all seemed to truly enjoy the armchair travels.  To this day I still think that there is nothing like sitting in a dark room and seeing the pictures projected on a screen.

However, when my film camera died, I had to make the transition to a digital camera.  Since 2011 I have been taking digital photos.  I do admit that there are advantages.  I don't have to lug dozens of rolls of film with me on my travels.  I can snap as many pictures as I want, and then select the best ones when I get home.  My digital camera captures pictures inside churches and museums and night scenes that I would have never been able to take with my old film camera.

However, I have literally thousands of slides that date all the way back to 1973 when I made my first trip to Mexico as a college student.  Today I bought an apparatus that scans my slides and uploads them to my computer.  I just tested it out, and the images seem to be of pretty good quality.  Now I will be able to share with you pictures from past trips!  And I'll be spending way too much time scanning slides and adding posts to the blog!

Toledo,, Spain
 
Here's the first slide that I scanned.  Not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment