city at night

city at night

Friday, March 28, 2014

My experience as an art collector in Mérida

Every weekend in Mérida local artists display their works in the small park next to Peón Contreras Theater.  There was one artist I especially admired... Luis Coral.  His works in colored pencil are almost photographic in their realism.  The subjects are of daily life in the villages of Yucatán.

 
 
On a visit to Mérida in 2010, I saw a large, framed picture of his which depicted a Mayan woman in traditional attire, sleeping in a hammock with her daughter (or granddaughter?) nestled in her arms.  It was such a sweet, tender picture...  I wanted it!!!
 
 
 
 
But how was I going to get it home?  Not only that, but the next day I was going to leave Mérida for several days to visit Campeche and Palenque.  I went back to my hotel, Luz en Yucatán, and talked with Lupita, who was at that time the manager of the hotel.  I asked her if I could store it at the hotel until I returned from my excursion.  She said "Yes, of course."  So I went to the ATM and then back to the park and purchased the picture.  I don't remember the price, but it was very reasonable.
 
 
When I returned to Mérida, Lupita and I looked through the phone book for a company that would pack and ship it home to the United States.  We found a business called "Todo en Cartón" that seemed to fit the bill.  It was located on the north side of the city.  I took a taxi there.  The picture barely fit into the taxi!  I made the arrangements for shipping it home.  As I remember, the cost of shipping was nearly as much as the artwork, but it was worth it.
 
A few days after I was back in Ohio, the package arrived.  The picture was in perfect condition; not even the glass was broken.
 
On my recent trips to Mérida, I have looked for Luis in the park, but I have not seen him.  Perhaps he has moved on to bigger and better things.  Perhaps he now has his own gallery?  If any readers from Mérida happen to know about Luis Coral, please let me know.


11 comments:

  1. I can’t find the right word to describe the painting. It looks amazing on the photograph; I can just imagine what it looks like when I'm actually there. It’s a good thing you found a reliable shipping carrier for this, because paintings are very delicate to ship. It needs a specialize packaging to prevent it from certain damage. And it’s a relief that they deliver it in a perfect condition.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for taking the time to comment. Yes, it is a lovely piece of artwork, and I am so happy that it arrived home without damage.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand. I saw his work when we were in Merida eight years ago. I still regret not buying an original. I did bring home a couple of small prints and just now googled his name and found your blog. I love his work! Just looking at my little prints fills me with a sense of peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is a wonderful artist. I also have a few of his prints which I need to get framed. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
    2. Linda Massa Linsky, Bethany, CTMarch 31, 2017 at 11:05 AM

      Would you be interested in selling any of them? I can no longer travel, and I can't find any of Luis Coral's amazing artwork online. I'm desperate! Please let me know if you'd be willing to part with any of them. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Sorry I can't help you, but I really wouldn't want to part with them. I finally got them all framed and hanging in my bedroom which has a Mayan motif with lots of things I have purchased on my trips to Merida.

      Delete
  3. I just came across a pair of small signed Luis Coral "Merida Yucatan" prints at a thrift store for......12 cents each! They are wonderful little prints

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda Massa Linsky, Bethany, CTMarch 31, 2017 at 10:53 AM

    I bought a Luis Coral print on a trip to Merida, - found it in a little shop. I fell in love with this man's beautiful artwork, and on a return trip to Merida found another of his prints in a thrift shop! What a treasure! I've been looking for more, online, but haven't had any luck! If anyone knows where to find them, originals or prints, PLEASE let me know. I'll be checking back here for a reply. What an amazing artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a Google search for him too, and came up empty. I found mention of the fact that he had a gallery in the Santiago neighborhood of Merida but that was written in 2014. I have not seen him at the Sunday art market ever since I bought the large original. There is a store on the plaza which has a rack of postcards in front. It used to have some small prints of his work, but I haven't even seen them there. The next time I make it to Merida (but that won't be in the near future) I am going to have to search out his gallery.

      Delete
    2. Linda Massa Linsky, Bethany, CTApril 20, 2017 at 6:02 AM

      Thanks so much for the info! I just wrote a letter to him (at the most recent address I could find) asking where or IF his work is available to those of us who can't make it to Merida. I'll let you know if I get a reply. Fingers crossed!
      - Linda

      Delete
    3. Good luck, and, yes, please let me know if you hear from him.

      Delete