city at night

city at night

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Season's Greetings

I mentioned in an earlier post that I make my own Christmas cards.  Each year I do a small painting, usually based on a photo of someplace that I have visited during the past year.  When appropriate, I change it into a winter scene.

This is this year's Christmas card.  It is of the monastery at Desierto de los Leones in Mexico.  It was a retreat of the Carmelite order of monks built in the 18th century high in the mountains above Mexico City.

 
 
Last year's card was of Weisstannen, the Swiss village in the Alps which my cousin Werner and I visited during the summer of 2012.  (Snow was added for the painting.)
 
 
 
In 2011, I painted a winter scene of the church in the Swiss town of Othmarsingen, where my great-grandmother was born.
 
 
 
The card for 2010 was of the Church of Santo Domingo in Oaxaca, Mexico.  I had traveled to Oaxaca in November of that year.
 
 
 
In 2009 I painted a winter picture of the Church of St. Michael and All Angels in the town of Lambourn, England.  Some of my English ancestors were baptized in this church.
 
 
 
In the autumn of 2008 I traveled to Spain.  One of the places I visited was the medieval city of Segovia.  Central Spain can be cold in the winter, and there is snow at times.  I found a picture on the internet of Segovia in the winter to use for my painting.
 
 
 
In the summer of 2007, I took a road trip out West.  I converted a photo I took at Grand Teton National Park into a winter scene.
 
 
 
The card for 2006 was of All Saints' Church in the village of East Garston, England.  In this church my great grandparents from the English branch of my family were married.
 
 
 
I hope that all of my readers have a very joyous holiday season.
 
¡Feliz Navidad!
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What beautiful cards that you've painted! Your friends who receive them should consider themselves VERY lucky.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we are feeling vaguely guilty for not having sent any cards this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim. Have a great holiday season.
    Saludos,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting beautiful cards!

    Happy holiday and have a wonderful time in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete