I just discovered this fantastical, exuberant art on the streets through Best of the World with Antoni Porowski. I feel I have discovered my next new love and excitement to see more! Can you share ways that people collect this inspired type of art on a much much smaller scale? I feel a tug to buy a tiny creation! (Maybe on a dollhouse scale?!!) Thank you for sharing your photos! -Julie (also a retired teacher, elementary)
In any handicrafts market here you can find an enormous selection of wooden "alebrijes" that are made in the state of Oaxaca. They range from small, inexpensive pieces to larger, intricately painted pieces that are museum-quality and which cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. I own one piece by artist Jacobo Angeles who is considered one of the best. I bought it at his workshop in the village of San Martin Tilcajete, Oaxaca in 2010. At that time it cost 360 U.S. dollars. I can imagine what it is worth today. But really they come in all price ranges. You can probably buy some on the internet if you do a search for "alebrijes".
I just discovered this fantastical,
ReplyDeleteexuberant art on the streets through Best of the World with Antoni Porowski. I feel I have discovered my next new love and excitement to see more! Can you share ways that people collect this inspired type of art on a much much smaller scale? I feel a tug to buy a tiny creation! (Maybe on a dollhouse scale?!!) Thank you for sharing your photos!
-Julie (also a retired teacher, elementary)
In any handicrafts market here you can find an enormous selection of wooden "alebrijes" that are made in the state of Oaxaca. They range from small, inexpensive pieces to larger, intricately painted pieces that are museum-quality and which cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. I own one piece by artist Jacobo Angeles who is considered one of the best. I bought it at his workshop in the village of San Martin Tilcajete, Oaxaca in 2010. At that time it cost 360 U.S. dollars. I can imagine what it is worth today. But really they come in all price ranges. You can probably buy some on the internet if you do a search for "alebrijes".
Delete