from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, July 3, 2022

Round Two


I wrote in an earlier post that last Thursday I had a yard sale, one of my first steps in preparing for a move to Mexico.  Everything was at bargain basement prices, and I made $164.  However, I still had a LOT of stuff left over.  I planned on a second day for the sale, but I waited until yesterday.  Friday was hot and muggy, and it rained in the late afternoon.  Yesterday the temperature was comfortable with sunny skies.  On Friday I did some more clearing out of cupboards, so I had even more stuff for "round two".  I hoped that on a weekend I would get more customers.

I was up early in the morning, and I was set-up and ready to go by 8:00.  I sat and waited.  Except for one woman who was walking by and took a brief look at some of my things, nobody showed up.  Four hours passed, and I was getting very discouraged.  Finally, after noon, some people started to show up, and some of them bought a number of things.  (One lady even bought a couple of my paintings!)  By 4:30 I decided to call it a day.  I had made only $66 dollars.  I was not going to put all this stuff back in the closets, cabinets and cupboards, so my garage is full, and my car is sitting in the driveway.  (I am temporarily one of those people whose garage is so full of junk that there is no room for a car!)

Today I am going to make a start in hauling everything away.  I will take my bags full of books to a store called "Half-Price Books".  I will probably get a few bucks for those.  The Goodwill store is open on Sunday, so I will make several trips over there with things to donate.  I hope that by the end of the day I will at least have enough room to put my car in the garage.

The two-day yard sale was really a lot of work.  I only made $230, and I still have most of the stuff I wanted to get rid of.  The things I cleared out were just the tip of the iceberg.  I am thinking that the sale wasn't worth the time and effort.  As I continue to clear things out, I think that I will just donate them to charity.  At the very end, when the house is sold and I am ready to move, a liquidator can empty out what's left.  

2 comments:

  1. My sister used to have garage sales often, and she said Thursdays and Fridays were better days to sell than weekends, which really surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Thursday was always the traditional day for garage sales around here. The local Sun Newspaper (and before that, the old Berea News) comes out on Thursday mornings. The avid garage sale shoppers would always check out the classified ads and hit all the sales. My sale was spur of the moment, and I didn't put an ad in the paper. I don't know if I would have done that much better though even with an ad.

      Delete