city at night

city at night

Friday, September 7, 2018

Hello Dollies

I have known Amy, the daughter of one of my former teaching colleagues, since she was a baby.  Whenever I would travel to another country, I would buy her a doll.  Over the years, she accumulated quite a collection... a collection which she has kept.  

Now Amy is a grown woman with a little daughter of her own, Angela.  During my trip to Mexico City last April, there was an international fair with booths from nations from all over the world.  Many of the booths were selling handicrafts, including dolls in traditional attire.  I immediately thought of Amy and Angela, and I bought several dolls from countries which I had never visited.  When I returned home, I shipped them to Amy via UPS, and they were thrilled.

On my latest trip to Mexico City I was at another handicraft fair, and when I saw more dolls, I couldn't resist.  Next week I must get these dolls packed and sent off to Amy and Angela.


This very elegant doll is dressed in the traditional costume of the state of Yucatán.




The more primitive doll to the left was created by the native women of the Mexican state of Chiapas.   The little fellow to the right is similar to the dolls that you see being made and sold on the sidewalks of Mexico City, except that this one is of a "muchacho".

I hope that Angela enjoys these additions to her collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment