city at night

city at night

Saturday, December 17, 2016

What Are the Russians Up To?

I tend to be rather obsessive about checking the statistics on my blog.  Every day I check to see how many page views I have received, from which countries those visitors come, and, of course, whether or not I have received any comments.

Back in July of this year I had a huge jump in the number of page views from Russia.  This occurred just after I had written a couple entries excoriating Trump and the news had come out about the hacking of the emails of the Democratic Party by the Russians.  It made me rather suspicious... OK, a bit paranoid... about what was going on with my blog.

Now it has come out that the Russian government was indeed trying to influence our election.  And guess what?  Even though I have not written anything political on my blog for over a month, the Russians are back.  This month I have received 1461 page views from Russia... more than from the United States.  It's not that my blog is wildly popular with the Russian public.  These page views are not from legitimate visitors.  Several times a day there will be a sudden spurt of views (usually 21 all at once)... and the map on my statistics page shows Russia as the source. 





I have no clue what is going on, or why some Russian is so interested in my blog.  I just went in and changed the password to my blog account.  It will be interesting to see if the Russian visits suddenly stop.



4 comments:

  1. That is not only creepy, but also makes one skeptical about using the internet at all. I'm ready to build a tree house in northern Canada and settle in for the next 4 years at least. It is so appealing to my introverted tendencies to absent myself from this mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. But if it weren't for the internet, we would have never made contact.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I think I'll check my stats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if the Russians have been peeking at your blog too.

      Delete