city at night

city at night

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Potted

As I have mentioned, my flower beds are filled with perennial plants.  I have reached the point where the only annuals that I buy are for my flower box, the hanging baskets and flower pots.  Most perennials only bloom once during the season, so the annuals provide color all summer long.

A couple days ago, after trips to various nurseries, I finished filling the flower pots.  I set them out on my patios.  I have three patios... one behind the dining room, another behind my bedroom, and a third out back by the storage garage.  I have several dozen flower pots.

Here is a picture of the back patio.



There is a wide variety of flowers... petunias, snapdragons, miniature dahlias, verbena, lantana and others.  There are also a couple tropical foliage plants... an elephant ear and a caladium.  In the center is a large plant, almost like a small tree.  It is something I found at the nursery, and which I have never had before... an oleander.   A couple years ago when I was in Valencia, Spain, I saw a lot of oleanders.  They grow as huge perennials in that climate.  They were gorgeous, and when I saw one at a local garden center, I decided to give it a try.


This oleander has pink flowers.  The plant has loads of buds, so it should be quite spectacular when it is in full bloom.  Come autumn, I am going to bring it inside, and see how well it does as a house plant.

Speaking of house plants, I also take out some of my indoor plants during the summer.  So far the only one that is out on the patio is this rubber tree plant.


I have had this plant for many years, and it has grown into a monster.  (Of course, it is not as big as the ones I see in Mexico City, where they literally grow into trees.)   It began as a small plant, but now, in its pot, it stands over five feet tall.  It always seems to enjoy being outdoors in a fairly shady corner of the back patio.  It sprouts new leaves, and adds another couple inches each summer.  It is no longer possible to carry it out.  I can't even haul it on a dolly.  I literally have to drag it across the back yard.

2 comments:

  1. Hola Bill!
    Your garden looks great. It makes me think of my own, which is probably sadly in need of attention, though my housemate is looking after some of it. (Mostly lawn mowing.)

    In California, oleanders are planted in the medians of the highways. They're very tough plants. But also quite poisonous, so keep that in mind.

    Saludos y un abrazo,

    Kim G
    CDMX, México
    Where it has been a pleasure to have no yard to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim.
      Yes, I knew that oleanders are poisonous.
      A lot a work remains. I'm doing a second weeding of the beds (it's amazing how quickly the weeds have sprung back) and laying down Preen to hopefully cut down on the constant weeding. And I still have a lot of manicuring jobs to do like edging the sidewalks.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete