city at night

city at night

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Farewell to England

Today was my last full day in England.  I went with Kevin, Sue, and their sons Charlie and Scott to Witham, a town in the county of Essex about 50 minutes to the northeast of London.  We had lunch at the restaurant of a golf club there, and we were joined by Kevin's parents, Dave and Pat, and his sister Ed (Edna) who live in the area.  So I had the pleasure of meeting yet two more cousins... Kevin's sister and I are third cousins, and I am his dad's second cousin once removed.  It was a lovely afternoon.


To the back, Kevin, Scott, Charlie, and Kevin's dad and mom
In front Sue and Kevin's sister Ed (Edna)

Tomorrow, after a very lengthy trip, I return home to Ohio.  Kevin will come to the hotel tomorrow morning and take me to Heathrow Airport for my flight.  I am so grateful to Kevin and Sue for all the hospitality and kindness which they showed me during my stay in England.  I look forward to welcoming them again in Ohio in the future.

It has been a wonderful trip.  On the one hand, the time has flown by.  On the other hand it seems as if I have been away from home forever.  The beginning of my journey in Spain now seems like a distant memory.

Other than the snafu with the train from Barcelona to Paris and a couple days where I did too much and tired myself out, the entire trip was absolutely splendid.  It was filled with so many great experiences...  showing my sister-in-law Phyllis familiar places in Spain, discovering new places, and spending time with my cousin Werner in Madrid, and my cousin Kevin and his family in England... and even meeting new cousins.

Now the time has come to return home.  I hope that my readers have enjoyed sharing my experiences in Europe!

4 comments:

  1. Bill,

    we enjoyed hosting you here in England and we all got a real buzz from the trips we made together. Safe home and we are looking forward to catching up with you again.

    Kevin, Sue, Charlie and Scott Bowsher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Kevin, you and I may be "third cousins", but in my book you and the family will always be "first cousins"!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, thank you, for sharing your trip with us. Your powers of observation and communication served us all. Have a safe trip back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! So glad that you enjoyed the diary of my trip. I am now back home in Ohio... back to reality. Sigh....

      Delete